MET-VLarp Dallas
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MET-VLarp Dallas

Forums for the MET-Vlarp

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Change to Humanity

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JasonMyrick
Admin
JasonMyrick

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2012 6:11 pm

The ST's have talked it over and we think that a change to more broad Humanity scale will provide a more clear guideline, and allow for a little more room to work with. Since there are more points in the break down think about where you want to be, if you currently have a 2 you could change to a 3 of 4 on the new scale.

Humanity Threshold Sin
10 Selfish Thoughts (Ex. hurting someones feelings)
9 Minor Selfish Acts (Ex. Cheating on taxes)
8 Injury to another, accidental or otherwise (Ex. Physical conflict)
7 Petty Theft (Ex. Shoplifting)
6 Grand Theft (Ex. Burglary)
5 Intentional mass-property damage (Ex. Arson)
4 Impassioned Crime (Ex. Manslaughter)
3 Planned Crime (Ex. Murder)
2 Casual/callous Crime (Ex. Torture, serial murder)
1 Utter Perversion, heinous acts (Ex. Combined rape, torture and murder, mass murder)

Back to top Go down
Carpenter

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 12:57 am

I think a couple of these are going to cause more problems than they solve.

Quote :
10 Selfish Thoughts (Ex. hurting someones feelings)

All apart from being completely un-police-able, there are times when hurting someone's feelings is the humane thing to do. If your buddy is a junkie, and you're willing to let him suffer and die in order to avoid hurting his feelings, it's at least arguable that you're more of a monster than the guy that risks a friendship to try and save a life.

Quote :
8 Injury to another, accidental or otherwise (Ex. Physical conflict)

Personally, I intensely dislike any humanity loss that isn't directly, deliberately my fault. Accidental injury is by definition something I couldn't have prevented. There's no power in the World of Darkness that can damn you without your deliberate, informed consent, and that seems like the way it should be.

Secondarily, this basically means that high-Humanity characters can't really play the game. This immediately sets vampires on a timer, where they're guaranteed to drop to Humanity 7 in X-1 days, where X is their current blood pool.

None of this has any meaningful impact on us; we're running paladins and at least trying to act accordingly. I'm all for a more shallow gradient on Humanity, I just think the scale is going to break down in those two places
Back to top Go down
JasonMyrick
Admin
JasonMyrick

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 10:53 am

Really tony this chart is far less ridged than the green book, where you get 2 mistakes for most players, on the accidental injury I'd give you the case of what happened last game. Someone disabled a moving vehicle thinking it would crash and the driver would just be a little shaken up, however the person died; hence you make your morality check because you feel bad, you when you manage to hold onto where you are because you have staved off doubt, loose and you spiral as you think you are a bad person.
Back to top Go down
Carpenter

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitimeSat Dec 22, 2012 9:53 pm

JasonMyrick wrote:
Really tony this chart is far less ridged than the green book, where you get 2 mistakes for most players, on the accidental injury I'd give you the case of what happened last game. Someone disabled a moving vehicle thinking it would crash and the driver would just be a little shaken up, however the person died; hence you make your morality check because you feel bad, you when you manage to hold onto where you are because you have staved off doubt, loose and you spiral as you think you are a bad person.

That seems like an odd corner case for accidental injury. I trip and fall into someone, that guy falls into a bookcase, I make a Humanity check. I close the car door a little too fast, someone gets his fingers hurt, I make a humanity check. Things like that happen every day, all the time - cases where I deliberately expose someone to danger and miscalculate the results so dramatically that I overshoot "shaken up" and get all the way to "dead", I doubt those are going to be the big drivers of Humanity 8 checks.

I realize it's less rigid than the rulebook. I'm pretty sure the rulebook was a port of the tabletop game that didn't put a lot of thought into large-scale multiplayer playability. In a small tabletop group, an ST can work around one toon that has to eat air instead of blood and cannot in any way engage in combat, ever. That's vastly more problematic in a LARP with a decent-sized playerbase.

Still, it's your show, and the Vampire humanity rules don't bear down on me too much. I noted what I thought might be problems, and I'll leave at that, short of a mechanical consideration:

RAW says if you're a Vampire fighting during the day, you only get your Humanity * 2 in Traits, regardless of what you could actually call. Since we've doubled the range of the chart, do you now get Humanity in traits, or do you still get Humanity*2?
Back to top Go down
JasonMyrick
Admin
JasonMyrick

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2012 7:47 pm

In case you didn't know these are the Humanity rules out of 4th ed, not something I just blindly came up with. As for daytime it would just match your Humanity.
Back to top Go down
JHulsey

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2012 12:40 pm

How will this affect conscience test difficulties?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Change to Humanity Empty
PostSubject: Re: Change to Humanity   Change to Humanity Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Change to Humanity
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
MET-VLarp Dallas :: Out of Game :: Rules-
Jump to: